Nigerians Arrested In One Of The Largest Cases Of Fraud In US History

The scammers have scammed Americans to the tune of $1.1bn between Jan-July this year alone.

Here is a video of the press release by FBI on Nigerian internet scam syndicate.

LOS ANGELES: The United States Attorney’s office says Thursday most of the defendants are Nigerian citizens.

After search warrants were executed at multiple locations across L.A. County on Thursday morning, federal prosecutors declared a 252-count indictment that accuses eighty individuals within the U.S. and Federal Republic of Nigeria of taking part in a very "massive conspiracy to steal several million dollars through a range of fraud schemes."


Press Conference 
The defendants allegedly laundered the funds through a Los Angeles-based concealing network. Eleven of them were arrested Today in Southern California, while three others were taken into custody elsewhere in the U.S., according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Central District of California.



Two were already in federal custody on different charges, and one was arrested earlier this week. The remaining defendants that are believed to be abroad, most of them in Nigeria, authorities confirmed.

According to the indictment, the suspect used business email compromise frauds, romance scams and schemes targeting the aged people to scam victims out of millions of dollars.

The co-conspirators allegedly contacted Valentine Iro, 31, of Carson, and Chukwudi Christogunus Igbokwe, 38, of Gardena, both Nigerian citizen, for bank and money-service accounts that can receive funds fraudulently obtained from victims.

Scammers

"These victims are used primarily as money mules, by allowing their bank accounts to be used to transfer stolen funds," said FBI Assistant Director in Charge Paul Delacourt.

The criminal complaint says Iro and Igbokwe, that were among the suspects arrested today, conducted schemes that resulted in the transfer of a minimum of $6 million in fraudulently obtained funds.

"The overall conspiracy was responsible for the attempted theft of at least $40 million," the U.S. Attorney's Office said in a statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts