Explosion at New York City's Port Authority

Suspect in custody following explosion at New York station

Lots of emergency responders on 8th Ave.
between 42nd and 43rd streets. 

NEW YORK - An explosion struck the Port Authority bus terminal at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue on Monday morning, the New York Police Department said in a tweet.

One male suspect is in custody following an explosion early Monday at New York City’s Port Authority Bus Terminal near Times Square, according to preliminary information from the New York Police Department.

New York police immediately provided a heavy response.
The suspect, whose identity has not yet been released, sustained non-life-threatening injuries in the blast, fire officials said. No other injuries have been reported, police said.

Some kind of explosive device detonated at the A/C/E Port Authority subway stop around 7:30 a.m. Monday, an NYPD spokesperson said. All subways that typically stop at the Port Authority are bypassing the station. Authorities have temporarily closed the Port Authority Bus Terminal, a major transportation hub for New York City residents and visitors near Times Square, and several train lines have been rerouted or suspended.

PRESIDENT Trump has been briefed after an explosion at the New York Port Authority station during Monday morning rush hour.

Port Authority Police watch as people evacuate after a reported
explosion at the Port Authority Bus Terminal
A law enforcement official told AP that a man had explosive device strapped on when it exploded in New York City subway around 7:30am. The person was arrested and has non-life threatening injuries.

New York police confirmed one male suspect is in custody and there are “no injuries other than the suspect at this time.” Locals are being urged to avoid the area.

A police officer near the scene said: “There was an explosion under Port Authority somewhere in the subway. That’s all we’ve got for now.”

Local media reported that a man with a “possible second device” has been detained in a subway tunnel, however, this has not yet been confirmed by police.

Commuter Diego Fernandez, who was caught up in the chaos, said: “There was a stampede up the stairs to get out...Everybody was scared and running and shouting.”

The explosion happened during rush hour
The enormous bus and train station is one of the busiest in New York and connects Manhattan to New Jersey. It’s located directly opposite the New York Times office and is just two blocks from Times Square in the heart of mid-town.

Police closed off the busy 8th avenue surrounding the station within minutes and footage from the scene showed an orderly evacuation.

Earlier, police confirmed they were investigating an explosion of “unknown origin” in

Manhattan, and that people were being evacuated from several train lines.

Police and other first responders respond to an explosion at the
Port Authority Bus Terminal.
“The NYPD is responding to reports of an explosion of unknown origin at 42nd Street and 8th Ave, #Manhattan. The A, C and E line are being evacuated at this time. Info is preliminary, more when available,” the New York police department wrote on their Twitter account.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said the President had been briefed on the explosion. New York Mayor Bill De Blasio has also been briefed.

Local media reports said the explosion came from a suspected pipe bomb and battery pack, however, this has not been confirmed by police.

The event comes after eight people were killed and 11 injured after a 29-year-old man drove a white truck down a cycle lane into people on Halloween.

Sayfullo Saipov pleaded not guilty to murder and other criminal charges.

The only person injured was the suspect, Police said

No comments:

Post a comment

Popular Posts