Attack outside Buckingham Palace, London

Buckingham Palace Attacked


A MAN armed with a knife has attacked two police officers outside Buckingham Palace.
The Queen’s London residence has been put into lockdown and tourists evacuated from the area.
The Metropolitan Police tweeted that two officers sufered minor injuries to their arms while arresting the man.

The London Ambulance Service was called and they were treated at the scene. They have not been taken to hospital.
Police said it was too early to say whether the incident was terrorism-related.

The man was arrested on suspicion of grevious bodily harm and assault on police.
No others persons have been reported injured.
Twitter user Amir Jan Malik wrote: “Stuck outside Buckingham palace with many armed police officers. Heavy rifles on display traffic at a halt.” Eyewitness Kiana Williamson told the Press Association that “there was one police van and one car, there was also a civilian’s car that had veered towards the police car.


“They were trying to get the man out of the car, shouting, more police were arriving on to the scene and the man was fighting back,” she said.
“The man had been restrained and looked almost unconscious by the side of the road.
“I didn’t see the car driving but the car had been left at the side of the road and an eye witness had said that he had driven towards the police car,” she added.

The incident, which took place shortly around 8.35pm local time (5.35am AEST) comes shortly after a man armed with a machete attacked soliders in Brussels.
It is not known if any members of the royal family were in the palace at the time.

The Queen is at her Balmoral estate with family members, as is her usual custom during August.
Buckingham Palace, which is surrounded by tall gates, has seen past security breaches. Last year, a man convicted of murder climbed a wall while the queen was at home, and was detained in the grounds.

In 1982, an intruder managed to sneak into the queen’s private chambers while she was in bed. Elizabeth spent 10 minutes chatting with him before calling for help.

A palace spokeswoman said the palace did not comment on security issues.

The Buckingham Palace attack continues a horror year for incidents in the heart of the British capital.The country’s threat level is set at severe, meaning an attack is highly likely.
On March 22, 52-year-old British man Khalid Masood went on a car and knife rampage, killing five people and injuring up to 50 before he was shot dead.

And on June 4, three Islamic fanatics went on a car and stabbing rampage on London Bridge and the adjacent Borough Market. Eight innocent people were killed in the incident.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts